Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Missional Photography

I'm usually a blogger with lots of visual and little words...but I am branching out! I wanted to share some words with you because I have just had an experience that I am really excited about!

I had the pleasure of taking the Missional Photography class at Rock Harbor Christian Church in Costa Mesa for the last month. My bro-in-law, Ian, told me about it a few months ago and thought I'd be interested because his friend, Dane Sanders, was teaching it and he said it would be awesome.The final answer for me was that my friend and mentor, wedding photojournalist extraordinaire, Jared Wilson, emailed me the week before and said, "Tell me you're taking that class!!" (He lives in Denver, or he would have!)So that was my cue to go! Although I hadn't yet, Jared very well knew the names and works of the photographers teaching the class, Dane Sanders, Mike Colon and Jessica Claire. Three amazing and very well known wedding photographers.
Joey has encouraged me in my photogradventures since day zero and of course wanted me to go. He came home 2 1/2 hours early every week and stayed home with the kids so I could go to every class.I had no idea what to expect, but having a passion for photography and for missions, I went with eyes, ears and heart wide open.

Dane, Mike and Jessica all shared their experiences and expertise. From photos of their own mission trips to technical digital stuff, they gave us so much. And they were just so gracious. I mean, come on! These guys are the best (which by the way I figured out when I googled them all after class one night)and make buko bucks being creative and awesome and they spent four weeks answering the gooberiest of questions about photography...which by the way came a lot from me!!

This was exactly what I needed, further education in digital SLRs, but more importantly the purpose of the class, learning how to honor people's lives through photography. Through assignments of taking 100 shots a day and taking pictures of random strangers to tell their stories, something came alive in me. The thought that I can tell a story with no words, that I can capture the beauty in a child of God and give dignity and respect to a life that society doesn't think deserves it, fans a coal God lit inside of me long ago.

Because of this class, I met Cesar. In talking with him, I just felt his spirit radiate through his words. He actually wasn't making a lot of sense! But I so enjoyed our time together! I think this picture just says so much about his personality :)


Okay, and Mike Colon thought so, too ;)

I am wondering with excitement about where God will take me next in this area of my life!

1 Comments:

Blogger Dane Sanders said...

You were fantastic! You totally showed up for this Intensive and I expect GREAT things to come as a result.

May 2, 2008 at 7:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home